Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Merr

I've been trying really hard to remain positive lately. I really don't mean to be a "debbie downer" or anything like that, but sometimes life gets you down and you forget all the great things that are happening and focus on the negative.

For example: Facebook sucks. I am notified daily about how my college soccer team is doing, how they are all having a great time, and how I can not play. Another reason why facebook sucks, I keep getting asked by people to play on their indoor teams. This sucks. I really really really want to play. So I get bummed out that I can't play and then I remember "oh wait it's not just this year you can't play YOU CAN NEVER PLAY AGAIN". Brain injury+ broken skull that isn't healing = more likely to get more broken skulls and brain injury. Sucks. No pick up basketball, no indoor soccer, no football <-- wait I only ever played once a year on thanksgiving... but still I can't play anymore :/

Reason number two I am bumming: Another person in my family has cancer. And I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to write that- because I don't know if it's "public" knowledge yet, but it sucks. I mean obviously it sucks, but it sucks even more because it just reminds me of losing Russ and Aunt Cindy. And then it reminds me of how my entire families lives have been changed and effected by this.

So then I kick myself in the butt and tell myself to suck it up and focus on the positives out of all of this.


  1. Even though I can no longer play contact/team sports this does not mean I am done with sports. I am grateful for my obsession with running which started a year ago, because if I didn't have that, I would be lost. With that being said, I can now focus on trying to become a better runner and eventually start doing triathlons and all sorts of good things from there!! New goal: Be a pro runner...
  2. Even though cancer is impacting my family in a negative way it is also giving me a chance to appreciate my family and the little things more. I used to be a stuck up brat and would book my days full of hanging out with friends and spent as little time as possible with my family. Now I make them a priority and love every second of hanging out with them. 
There are definitely more reasons for me to be grateful for and way more positives in my life than I can think of right now, but I can't let little things get me down. 

To make this more aesthetically pleasing:



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onto the training part...  



Sometimes I forget I go to college.... I had class today at 2pm and I had to leave at 11am in order to get back to Potsdam in time. This being said.... I had to run this morning... Today on the schedule was another "threshold day". Probably so I can find the most accurate heart rate. And well it's a dang good thing I did it again because I stupidly didn't do it right the first time... therefore my "steady eddy" run now makes more sense why I bumped it up.  Anyways- Only did a 3 mile run today, last threshold I did 4 but that was because I 'climbed" back down because I wanted more of a work out. So anyways- did the 3 then finished up on the elliptical at the gym for another 30 then had to quickly get on the road.

1 comment:

Chels said...

Wow you must have had one life changing experience to never play contact sports again. You are so right, you have to focus on the positive and things could be so much worse. Good luck on your running goals girl and it looks like your off to a great start!